Protect Yourself from TUIJuly 11, 2016
Increase Body Awareness for a Happier LifeJuly 17, 2016
We sit at work or classes, we sit down on the drive to and from, we sit down for dinner, sit down to watch TV and sit at the computer.
All this sitting destroys health and happiness because our bodies are hard-coded to move.
What Happens with so much Sitting?
- Circulation gets sluggish
- Minds get sluggish
- Stress chemicals gets locked in our body to create all kinds of havoc
- Weight gain
- Loss of flexibility
- Metabolism slows
- Posture suffers from leaning over internet devices or slouching on the couch
- Endorphins get sluggish and susceptibility to depression increases
What to do about that when there’s no Time?
- Get creative.
- Spend two minutes running up and down the stairs. For an added workout, do it on your tiptoes.
- Run through parking lots (Yes, you might look a little silly, but it’s fun! It will get your heart rate up, burn calories, and gets you where you are going a lot faster).
- Stretch often. Put your legs out in front of you and rotate your ankles.
- Check your posture. Shoulders down, neck back, everything should be in a straight line from your shoulders to your tailbone.
- Use T.V. time to sit on the floor cross legged. (This will help keep you flexible and work on your posture)
- Better yet, do yoga. You can still enjoy your favorite show while you go from pose to pose.
You will feel and operate better on every level just by keeping your body moving.
I suggest getting up every 50 minutes and doing some form of movement, even if it’s just a brisk walk around the office.
This additional movement isn’t meant to replace an exercise routine; it’s just to keep your body systems flowing at their ultimate performance in between exercise sessions.